Is amitriptyline as good as Neurontin (gabapentin) for nerve pain?

Yes. They work on different receptors and one might work better for a specific pain or a specific patient. They can also be taken together. If amitriptylene helps but causes too much side effects consider switching to desipramine.
Depends on diagnosis. Amitriptyline (elavil (amitriptyline) for brand name) is an anti-neuropathic medicine. It is an old generation anti-depressant. Neurontin (gabapentin) is also an anti-neuropathic medicine. Neurontin is also an anti-seizure type medicine. Patients with chronic nerve pain have different reactions to anti-neuropathics. Neurontin seems to have more specificity toward nerve pain.