If oxycontin isn't strong enough to control my pain, is there a different medication I should try?

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Addiction Medicine

Depending on type of pain, other non opiate meds may be a good add-on.
Other answer given by a.N. Is inaccurate and dangerous on several levels. There is no maximum dose for opiates used in chronic pain such as oxycotin.Their are maximum doses for short acting or combination opiate products. However rapid increase could result in overdose. Talk to your doctor about any changes in dose.

Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Jeff Blixt
Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Anesthesiology

First thing to know is what is causing the pain to begin with.
A lot of times, there are a lot of alternative minimally invasive treatments which may reduce the need to take powerful pain medication. Having said that, patients can develop tolerance to specific medications if used chronically. An alternative is to go through an "opioid rotation" when a different class of opioid can be tried.

Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology

In brief: Oxycontin

I don't know the dose you are taking but the medication should be escalated until reaches maximum dose in 24 hrs.
Then you can be switch to other types of long acting opioids.

In brief: Oxycontin

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Vikram Patel