If I take my pain medications according to the prescriptions, can I still get addicted?

Dr. Carl Hebdon
Addiction Medicine

In brief: Addiction Can't Read

Sadly, many of my addiction patients got their start due to prescribed medications, some properly prescribed and, in other cases, over-prescribed' either in doseage or length of maintenance.
This is why it is so important to follow the protocols on patient addiction potential and to use alternative forms of pain control as appropriate.

In brief: Addiction Can't Read

Dr. Carl Hebdon
Dr. Carl Hebdon
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Gynecology

In brief: No

Addiction is a separate condition, you may become dependant.
Dependence means that you will have withdrawal symptoms if medication is stopped abruptly, where addiction has an aberrant behavior. Pain medications if taken properly should control your pain.

In brief: No

Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Alfredo Nieves
Dr. Ron Jones

Yes.

Yes.
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Vikram Patel