How long does it take for treatment with tens units to start working?

Dr. Joseph De santi

In brief: TENS Time

Tens, or transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation is a therapy used to "exhaust" nerves and deplete them of neurotransmitter to limit the transduction of nervous impulses, or pain.
Depending on the location of the problem on the body, the electrode size, the impedence or resistance of the skin and deeper fatty tissues and voltage of the unit, the amount of relief can vary; adjust with caution.

In brief: TENS Time

Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Joseph De santi

In brief: TENS excellent but..

Tens (transcutaneous electrical neural stimulation) can be very effective if used correctly and in conjunction with other exercises and therapy.
Please consider a neuromuscular TMJ specialist. I use tens often, but not as my only modality. It can take time, but is an effective measure, again, in conjunction with other treatment.

In brief: TENS excellent but..

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Anesthesiology

In brief: Varies

Tens (transcutaneous electrical stimulation) is a non-invasive modality to decrease pain perception in many body areas.
The concept is similar to when someone hits a body part and then immediately starts rubbing the area. The latter sends a lot of non-painful stimulation to the brain and essentially pain impulses are drown out. The effect is rather immediate and wears off quickly once it's off.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Dr. Sassan Hassassian