How can I prevent myself from getting sciatica?

Dr. Ron Jones
In brief: You may not
You may not be able to prevent from developing sciatica.
Just as any other condition, stay healthy and see your primary care doctor about maintaining a healthy back.

In brief: You may not
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management
In brief: Core Exercises
Typically core strengthening exercises are the best to help relieve pressure and forces in the spine.
I would try and google some or look them up on youtube to see descriptions. If you can do them yourself, wonderful otherwise ask your doctor to get a referral to a good physical therapist for further assistance.

In brief: Core Exercises
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Joseph De santi
In brief: Skirting Sciatica
Sciatica is not preventable because it is the result of an acute injury or predisposition to anatomical change that occurs over time.
Sciatica is a compression or encroachment of the sciatica nerve or its roots that causes pain. Remaining physically fit, watching your body weight as you age, and avoiding hazardous activities are somewhat "preventive" but not a guarantee in the real sense.

In brief: Skirting Sciatica
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Joseph De santi
Dr. Vikram Patel