Could the tegretol i'm taking for trigeminal neuralgia be making the pain worse?

Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Neurology
In brief: Probably not
Tegretol reduces tn pain in about 70% of patients.
It is possible it doesn't work. Make sure the diagnosis is correct. It is rare that tegretol would make tn pain worse.

In brief: Probably not
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Eric Weisman
Also some people don't properly metabolize Tegretol. It gets converted to carbazepine 10-11 epoxide which can in turn cause problems like bone marrow supression.
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
In brief: Consider Acupuncture
Tn is a type of facial pain.
Tn overlap with myofascial patterns. Don't wait to start care the pain can make you wish you were dead! think flesh/tissue and not nerves for face pain! begin a self-care wellness program of vits, magnesium glycinate, sleep hygiene, self/pro massage, chiropractor, heat, epsom soaking, stretching. I use acupuncture!

In brief: Consider Acupuncture
Tn is a type of facial pain.
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management
In brief: Probably not
Tegretol may not make the pain worse.
It simply doesn't work in your case. In my practice, i try two or three medical options and if the pain is not controlled, i offer stereotactic trigeminal neurotomy, a procedure we do under real-time ct scanner which is effective in 90-95%.

In brief: Probably not
Tegretol may not make the pain worse.
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Dr. Ron Jones
In brief: Unlikely
Tegretol is the only fda approved anti-convulsive drug that has proven to be effective in the treatment of tn.
Upwards of 79% of folks with tn have at least some improvement. You can become "resistant" to the drug over time, but it is unlikely to increase the pain of tn.

In brief: Unlikely
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Cindy Juster