Are there exercises which can help with my sciatica pain?

Dr. Kevin Teal
Neurosurgery

In brief: Non impact

Walking, swimming, and riding a bike are usually O.
K. Avoid running, jumping, bouncing, overhead lifting or squats with weights.

In brief: Non impact

Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. Kevin Teal
Dr. James Marx
Pain Management

In brief: Core Strengthening!

Walking and other exercises can build the core muscles to some extent but unless your core muscles like abdominals and paraspinal muscles are toned up your spinal structures will bear an undue amount of stress.
Think of a sausage with a casing that is not tightened-it has no rigidity. Your abs provide this rigidity to your body and off-load the spine substantially.

In brief: Core Strengthening!

Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Marx
Dr. James Leiber
Sports Medicine

In brief: Many causes

Sometimes, what is referred to as sciatica is actually lateral or posterior hip pain or changes in the position of the sacrum or sprain of sacral ligaments or multiple other things to include pinching of sciatic nerve at the spine or lower. I recommend being evaluated by a physician skilled in hands-on musculoskeletal assessments and treatments.
Use of musculoskeletal ultrasound is very helpful.

In brief: Many causes

Dr. James Leiber
Dr. James Leiber
Dr. Thomas Byrnes
Meds can B useful if they help you to move normally while you heal. If you smoke, you must stop. What ever type of activity/lifestyle produces the damage to your back must be modified. OMT helps many folks. PT for a core strengthening, yoga type stretching home exercise program that incorporates proper breathing/body awareness is the pathway that I have seen the most success. Patience!
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Core Exercises

Typically core strengthening exercises are the best to help relieve pressure and forces in the spine.
I would try and google some or look them up on youtube to see descriptions. If you can do them yourself, wonderful otherwise ask your doctor to get a referral to a good physical therapist for further assistance.

In brief: Core Exercises

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Ron Jones

Check with your pcp or pain management specialist.
These exercises should be tailored to your individual needs dependent upon what is causing your sciatica.

Dr. Ron Jones
Dr. Ron Jones