What is better: sucking on thumb or pacifier?

In brief: Pacifier
If given a choice, sucking on a pacifier is better than on a thumb.
A parent can make the pacifiers disappear when the child is old enough, but it's hard to make the thumbs "disappear". Also, sucking on a pacifier won't cause the calluses and cracked skin on the thumbs.

In brief: Pacifier
In brief: My choice, pacifier
Pacifiers can be a transitional object, replaced by other self soothing objects like teddy bears.
Some develp a tight bond with it & will require creative methods to reduce us.A clip/ribbon keeps it close & avoids using the mouth as a pocket.A ziploc bag allows visability without immediate access.Sudden loss allows the thumb(that will not go away) to be a substitute & leads to mistrust of caregiver.

In brief: My choice, pacifier
Dr. Shontae Buffington