What could be causing stiffness and pain mainly in the joints in the fingers and toes that is also affecting wrists, ankles, and knees?

Arthritis.. There are many different kinds. Some occur after a significant trauma to a joint, or with gradual wear-and-tear over time, but if you're having pain and swelling in multiple joints on both sides of your body, you may have an autoimmune disease, like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or psoriatic arthritis. Check with your doctor to see if blood tests need to be run for confirmation.