Can you tell whether it's dental caries or gingivitis by how much pain your teeth hurt?

Yes. Caries will cause varying types of pain depending on depth. Sensitivity to sweets, liquids , cold, hot and biting are the usual progression. Gingevitis will cause pain when the gums are brushed, when flossing, and when certain foods come it contact w the gums. And the pain is generalized usually.
Yes. Most of the time, gingivitis and gum disease will have no associated pain. If the teeth themselves hurt, it probably is not the gums. Please see your dentist.
Tooth Pain. You are not able to tell if your dental pain is from your gums or teeth. Denta plain can be very confusing to the patient. Many time can seem to be coming from a lower tooth when in actuality it may becoming from a tooth on the upper arch. Proper testing and x-rays by a dentist is the best way to know where the pain is coming from and to find out what to do about it. See a dentist.
Usually Yes. Pain can be described as to how it happens. For instance if you drink something cold, it's likely nerve tooth pain. If you floss and it hurts, its likely gingivitis.
Pain. Generally no as severe gum disease can be as painful as decay. Your best option is to see your dentist, get a complete examination and diagnosis for a pain free and happy holiday season.