Can dentures help reduce bone loss in areas where teeth have been extracted?

No. My collegue is correct. Alveolar bone is that part of the jawbone that surrounds and supports the teeth. When a tooth is lost, there is no need for alveolar bone and over time, it resorbs. In addition, the pressure of dentures causes even more bone loss! so it's a double whammy!
Yes and no. They actually contribute to bone loss over time. But they spread the load so they may reduce the rate at which the bone is resorbed. Implants to support and retain them helps. Fixed teeth on implants is the best.
Nope. Without teeth, the jaw bone will gradually resorb away over time. It take a long time, but if you are in a denture for 20 years, then in your early 60's you might be in trouble.
Yes. While dentures cannot prevent the loss of bone, i think that dentures slow the process down.
Kind of... When a tooth is extracted, the bone that was once around the roots (called alveolar bone) is resorbed by the body. A good fitting denture will help maintain cortical bone- the type of bone that make up your jaws. If you dentures fit well, you can avoid that 'caved in' look people get after getting teeth extracted.