What is a bunion? And hallux valgus?

Structural deformity. Some differences, but basically used interchangeably. Bunions are a bony prominence with joint misalignment. They are progressive, structural deformities. You can improve the symptoms with better shoes, but you can't improve the deformity. My rule of thumb: if the deformity bothers you on a regular basis or is limiting your activity, then surgery is an option to consider. Dr l.
See below. A bunion is just the enlargement of the bone on the outside of the 1st metatarsal head. Hallux valgus is the malpositon of the 1st metatarsal and 1st toe where the big toe turns in towards the 2nd toe.
Abnormal "bump" A bunion is a progressive disorder that is often described as a bump on the side of the big toe joint which may become painful. The visible bump actually reflects changes in the framework of that joint and possibly adjacent joints. In later stages, the big toe may lean towards the second toe which throws the bones out of alignment – producing the bunion’s “bump” which may lead to pain.