Are general surgeons able to practice cosmetic surgeries (liposuction, etc.)?

Dr. Janet Turkle
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, but...

I agree with dr whitfield in that the general surgery residency process does not include formal instruction about cosmetic procedures.
The plastic surgery residency requires 2-3 additional years of training beyond general surgery. With extensive training and experience, one can master skills that were not included in residency but in general, one is usually best served by those certified by abps.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Janet Turkle
Dr. Janet Turkle
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, but...

Patients should be very careful about selecting a “cosmetic surgeon”.
Unfortunately, there is no institution protecting the consumer.I would suggest starting with the american society of plastic surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Arrange consultations and ask to see his/her before-and-after pictures and to potentially meet with previous patients.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Robert Steely
It is unfortunate that anyone with a medical degree can call themselves a "cosmetic surgeon". Check with the American Board of Plastic Surgery to be sure your surgeon is fully trained in plastic surgery.
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Cosmetic surgery

A general surgeon is trained to to do trauma, abdominal surgery such as removal of a gallbladder, hernia surgery, breast surgery such as lumpectomy and mastectomies, other forms of can of organs and skin.
That be said they receive absolutely no formal training in cosmetic plastic surgery. I know this because i completed and entire training program in general surgery before my plastics training!

In brief: Cosmetic surgery

Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Robert Whitfield
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Legal, but...

...But not advised.
It's not like we live in an area where there are no plastic surgeons to be found, and you have to go to the one doc in the town, who does everything! go see an expert - a board-certified plastic surgeon.

In brief: Legal, but...

...But not advised.
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Thomas Fiala
Dr. Kenneth Lee
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, BUT

The are able to practice cosmetic surgery as state medical boards do not regulate what a physician practices- therefore someone who trains in one thing can practice another field entirely! the question is why trust a surgeon to perform cosmetic surgery if they did not receive formal training in it?! consult with a board certified plastic surgeon as then you are assured of the highest standards.

In brief: Yes, BUT

Dr. Kenneth Lee
Dr. Kenneth Lee
Dr. Bruce Genter
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, but is it safe?

Medical licenses do not specify areas of practice, so technically the answer is yes.
But would you let a general surgeon without full training in eye surgery remove your cataracts? So why should you trust a general surgeon to perform cosmetic surgery? Or any other non-plastic surgeon for that matter. I recommend that you stick with a surgeon certified by the american board of plastic surgery.

In brief: Yes, but is it safe?

Dr. Bruce Genter
Dr. Bruce Genter
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Maybe

The hippocratic oath states that doctors should practice the type of medicine that they were trained to do, and seek assistance when they need it.
Ask your surgeon where they were trained to do plastic surgery, it takes years of training and many patients to get well trained. Physicians should practice the surgery they were trained to do.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Ralph Rosato
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Anyone can! Careful!

Any doctor, regardless of specialty, is legally allowed to perform cosmetic procedures including liposuction, breast implants, botox, etc.
Therefore, you should always do your homework and make sure that they are qualified. One way to do this is to check to see if they are board certified in plastic surgery and members of the american society of plastic surgeons.

In brief: Anyone can! Careful!

Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Adam Hamawy
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Yes, but should they

Any doctor can perform liposuction.
The question is, should they? Any doctor could perform barin surgery, but should they? I recommend you have liposuction with a doctor that has had formal training and credentialing.

In brief: Yes, but should they

Any doctor can perform liposuction.
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo