How safe is heparin during pregnancy?

Requires care. Heparin, a blood thinner, can cause serious bleeding problems. While complications are rare, when they happen, they can be severe. Using Heparin requires expert care.
Depends. Agree with dr. Chenette that Heparin should be used with caution. If there is a good reason to use this medication (such as previous history of a DVT or recurrent pregnancy loss associated with antiphospholipid antibodies) then it can be used. Heparin does not cross the placenta so the impact on the pregnancy would relate to the risk of bleeding and also a risk of bone loss in the mother.