What the best diet?

Whole foods. Simple sugars and processed carbs should be avoided or limited. This includes any flour product. The fine grind makes absorption quick, and spikes your blood sugar which increases Insulin and promotes weight gain. Good fats such as olive oil and coconut oil are fine in sensible amounts. Eat a rainbow of organic vegetables and 3-4 oz protein with each meal 5 hours apart.
Depends. It's a numbers game and a genetics thing. Overall the ornish or zone diet. But you need to know how many calories you burn everyday and how many u consume. You want to burn more than you eat. However, some people won't lose wt bec of hormone imbalances or lack of muscles. Diet alone will not work you must exercise and wt train.