What does it mean to have a chorionic gonadotropin assay?

Pregnancy test. Hcg is the hormone made by the placenta that is measured in a pregnancy test. It is tested to diagnose pregnancy, perform a risk assessment for ectopic pregnancy, and to manage certain complications of pregnancy, including a molar pregnancy.
HCG assay. Hcg is the hormone produced by the placental cells, and its level can be measured to diagnose or monitor a pregnancy. Hcg can be detected by commercial blood test as early as 5 days after implantation, or 7-10 days using the urine test. Because hcg's structure is similar to lh's, it can also be used to induce ovulation. After an HCG injection, the medication is completely elimnated after a week.