Should i be concerned that my dentist performed a root canal on me without the use of a dental dam?

Dr. Steven Bender
Dentistry

In brief: Maybe

The usual protocol for a root canal is to have the tooth isolated with a dental dam to reduce the risk of bacterial infestation.
However, there are cases wher it is not possible to use on. I can't judge the procedure your dentist used without knowing all the details of your circumstances.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Steven Bender
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Standard of care

The dental dam is the standard of care.
There are very few instances when a rubber dam isn't warranted for root canal therapy.

In brief: Standard of care

The dental dam is the standard of care.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Jeffrey Buxton
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Hard to say.

Standard procedure is to use a rubber dam but sometimes it is not possible.
Other ways to isolate the tooth are through the use of a product called an isolite.

In brief: Hard to say.

Dr. Jeffrey Buxton
Dr. Jeffrey Buxton
Dr. Kim Capehart
Sometimes a rubber dam is not possible to use but as a standard of care, a rubber dam for root canal therapy is the norm.
Dr. Robert Landman
Dentistry

In brief: DAM

I ended up getting in a dispute with one of my faculty back in dental school, as i couldn't get the damn dam around a tooth being worked on.
He wasn't able to either...As a matter of principle we try, it makes for management of the field as well as your protection a lot better

In brief: DAM

Dr. Robert Landman
Dr. Robert Landman

In brief: Of course

It is hard to determine is this type of forum why your dentist did not use a dam when it is the standard of care for the procedure.
I would suggest that you ask your dentist why he/she did not elect to do so on you.

In brief: Of course

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Peter Kurzweil