How can reproductive hormones affect epileptic seizures?

Medication Effect. For the most part reproductive hormones do not cause seizures or worsen them. However, they can affect the absorption of anti-seizure medication and that can make those medicines less effective. Or the anti-seizure medication for instance can make birth control pills less effective.
Catamenial? Some patients with epilepsy are very sensitive to changes in hormones. They may have seizures during menstrual cycles, or get worse with certain birth control. They are also very sensitive to hormone manipulation. This is called catamenial epilepsy. Discuss this with your doctors. Hormone treatments also affect epilepsy drug levels.