How can I alleviate severe ankle pain?

Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Many possibilities

R.I.C.E. Rest, ice, compression, elevation.
Immobilization with a splint or brace may be of benefit in the initial phase of recovery. Oral anti-inflammatory medication may help with the pain and swelling. Once improved, mobilization and physical therapy can help restore strength and function. Healing times may vary.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Ankur Dharia
Podiatry

In brief: First, immobilize!

Severe ankle pain, whether acute or chronic should be seen by your nearest foot/ankle specialist.
There could be many different things causing it and time is of the essence to figure out what it is due to. Avoid weight bearing and immobilize immediately and get in to see your nearest podiatrist. Good luck!

In brief: First, immobilize!

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine