When should couples see an infertility specialist?

Dr. Gerard Honore
Fertility Medicine

In brief: Typically 1 year

I believe whenever they are ready.
More usually, physicians recommend evaluation after 1 year of unsuccesful trying. When the woman is over 36 years of age, it is nowadays more appropriate to start evaluation after 6 months. I'm glad you asked when a 'couple' can start, both partners should be involved from the very beginning.

In brief: Typically 1 year

I believe whenever they are ready.
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Gerard Honore
Dr. Philip Chenette
Fertility Medicine

In brief: 6-12 months

If you believe you have a fertility problem, you should seek out an expert in fertility diagnosis and treatment.
In women under 35, common guidance is to try for a year, if you feel you are healthy, before seeking assistance. Over age 35, 6 months. If menstrual cycles are irregular, or you have a medical condition, seek help sooner.

In brief: 6-12 months

Dr. Philip Chenette
Dr. Philip Chenette
Dr. Adam Levy