Should you get a cortisone injection for tendonitis?

Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Some
Some doctors do not like to give more than 1 injection.
And it depends a lot upon the response to the injection, the duration, effect on pain, time to return of symptoms and other factors such as who you are or what u do i tend to try a second injection in most of my patients if they desire but i tell them that it may not work fully. In my experience most people with dequervains get better with an injection and a soft splint. Sometimes its the timing that mandates or requests injection, i.e. Busy work schedule, fear of layoff etc especially in these economic times surgery is typically strait forward and wrks well to resolve the problem. There have been studies in other type of hand tendonitis (not in dequervains but one can make a little leap in logic here) that after 2 injections, the economics, your time, your medical dollar for surgery v. Further conservative rx starts to tip towards surgery. Still many patients pursue injections still trying to avoid surgery. Many doctors rather then having this conversation just say one injection is all they give therss no really really right answer, just different options for a way to approach this. I have found that a soft splint works better than a rigid splint for dequervains. Make sure the splint is not the issue, .

In brief: Some
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Jeffrey Wint
Dr. Gregory Billy
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Sometimes
Tendinopathies are usually treated conservatively.
They will respond to relative rest or bracing, medications (anti-inflammatories) and then exercises. Occasionally, they do not get better and then an injection may be helpful.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Gregory Billy
Dr. Gregory Billy
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine