Can I run with my chronic Achilles tendonitis?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc

In brief: You can but...

You sure can run, but will you run as well as you would like to, I am not sure.
If your achilles tendinitis is untreated, you might aggravate it even worse by running. I'd recommend that you get some physical therapy to get it under control and once it's improved, you may go back to running and other routine.

In brief: You can but...

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Ankle tendinosis

Chronic achilles tendinosis is a disease of the tendon rendering the tendon unable to accept the loads placed on it.
Running is an aggressive loading on the tendon, especially if you are a heal to toe stricken. Need an aggressive eccentric exercise program prior to returning to running.

In brief: Ankle tendinosis

Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Dr. Jimmy Bowen
Dr. Corey Fox
Podiatry

In brief: Not initially

You should rest it.
You should try eccentric stretches of the achilles and see if that alone gives relief. Some treatments allow early exercise, like shock wave. Other treatments, like topaz require a brief period of rest, but fairly quick return to activity. You should work closely with a physical therapist who is or employs an athletic trainer.

In brief: Not initially

You should rest it.
Dr. Corey Fox
Dr. Corey Fox
Dr. Keegan Duchicela
Board Certified, Family Medicine