What are the options in hormone therapy for women with history of blood clots.?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: None
I believe hormone replacement therapy including Estrogens is contraindicated in patients with history of blood clots.
Consult with your gynecologist to discuss all the options.

In brief: None
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Michael Fox
Fertility Medicine
In brief: Depends
Hrt is controversial in the patient with a history of blood clots and depends on the clinical situation.
Overall goals are important and hormones needed depend on uterine status (presence or absence). Transdermal or non oral Estrogens have been shown not to increase clotting factors and could be used with Aspirin & close monitoring and the absolute blessing of your doctors not on your own.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Michael Fox
Dr. Michael Fox
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine