How do I know if I have an Achilles tendon rupture?

In brief: Couple of things

If it is a full rupture you can feel the gap between the torn ends of the tendon and you will have difficulty pulling your heel up from the floor. Best to see a doctor.

In brief: Couple of things

Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Eric Bluman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: A few things...

Most people with ruptures experience pain, swelling and inability to flex the ankle in the direction of the sole of their foot.
Some will see what appears to be a bruise at the site of the rupture. If you think you ruptured your achilles tendon i recommend you see an orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon. One in your area can be found at: www.Aofas.Org.

In brief: A few things...

Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Eric Bluman