Can antithrombotic and hypofibrinogenetic therapy be used for acute ischemic stroke?

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

If ct of brain reveal no bleeding and if the pt.
Is in the window period ( less than 4.5 hours from symptoms )to receive fibrinolytics ( tpa (alteplase) or others) this is going to break the clot and restore the circulation avoiding serious neurological damage.Aspirin is started 24. Hrs later after tombolytics. For DVT prevent. Anticoagulants should be used except when hemorrhagic transformation is present.

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics

In brief: 2nd part

The issue comes when using different trombolytics in case of heart attacks.
And the rate of reocclusion.., "use of Heparin further reduces the rate with t-pa and Reteplase " (but no so clear for streptokinase). I guess our best option is to see what emergency room physicians and neurologist have as a protocol in each center.

In brief: 2nd part

Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez