What types of therapy are effective with a sprained ankle injury?

RICE. Rest (limit activity; immobilize with splint, cast or walking boot; limit weight bearing), ice, compression and elevation. If improvement isn't forth coming, then a formal medical evaluation, possibly including an xray to rule out a fracture would be indicates.
Wrapping. You can either do kinesio tapping which is a special tape that has to be applied without streching along the ligament to support that area. The other option is to use local capsaicin patch and do a wrap with cotton padding and ace wrap. Both support and relieves pain.