Is swimming good to correct scoliosis?

David Miller
In brief: Not likely
Scoliosis is a lateral curvature of the spine.
Causes include bony deformities and either paralysis or spasm of the paraspinal muscles. Exercise is generally not useful for straightening the spine (this generally requires surgery), although exercise can help reduce symptoms such as pain and allow you to be more functional.

In brief: Not likely
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: Scoliosis swimming
Swimming is considered a good exercise for some patients with scoliosis because the movements are not jarring and there is less pressure on the spine.
It may not create magic, but can help.

In brief: Scoliosis swimming
It may not create magic, but can help.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics
In brief: Not Likely
You should check with the Orthopaedic MD and possibly a Chiropractor to evaluate your degree of scoliosis and determine if it will be aggravated by any special exercise.
I have scoliosis and do triathlons, so for me it is ok. Correction of this is usually with a brace at early age or surgery if possible. See your MD. Swimming won't correct. Good Luck.

In brief: Not Likely
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: No but
Swimming or any exercise for that matter will not correct a scoliosis but it is a great exercise in general to maintain an otherwise healthy back!

In brief: No but
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine