How often do you apply heat therapy to a sports injury that is chronic?

Controversial. Often ice is best. There may be situations where one needs to loosen up an area and heat may be applied. Some deep injuries may need some heat but ice prevents swelling and releves pain. Depending on your injury and need, you should consult with a sports medicine doctor, and physical therapist with interest in your areas of injury.
Chronic sport injury. The best thing to do for chronic sports injuries is to apply heat such as a thermaband patch or massaging ben gay 30 minutes before and after. The best thing to do to prevent sports injuries is to properly stretch and drink plenty of fluids. You can also try alternating heat and cold by applying ice packs for 20 minutes after workouts then soak in warm to hot water with epsom salt for 30 minutes.