Can exercise usually help low back pain?

Yes. Of all of the treatments touted to help low back pain, exercise has consistently shown to be one of, if not the best way to treat lower back pain. There is no one "right" exercise for all people with back pain. Studies have shown that people who do any kind of exercise to keep themselves physically fit tend to have lower rates of back pain than people who do not exercise regularly.
It Can Heal. However, chronic low back pain may rear its ugly head every so often. You may be able to reduce the pain to enjoy most everything you do but you may need to be proactive with maintaining an exercise and core strengthening regimen and may even need periodic interventional treatments to keep the pain controlled.
Yes. Several large studies have shown that weight control and exercise are just as effective as surgery for long-term lower back pain control.