What is best in ACL repair physical therapy, an elliptical machine or stationary bike?

Dr. Joseph Hermann

In brief: Physical therapy

Physical may include dozens of different exercises including the two you mentioned.
Consulting with a physical therapist after surgery is critical to the healing process.

In brief: Physical therapy

Dr. Allen Lu
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Stationary bike

After acl reconstructions, the quad muscles are very much inhibited by a complex protective mechanism in our brain.
Because of this, the quad muscles do not function normally and become easily deconditioned. Stationary bike, straight leg raises, and stair climbing, become the most important parts of the rehab program. The elliptical does not help here, but is an excellent cardio workout.

In brief: Stationary bike

Dr. Robert Meislin
Sports Medicine

In brief: Acl exercises

I prefer the stationary bike to ensure improved bending of the knee and balance of the hamstrings and quads.

In brief: Acl exercises

In brief: I

Suggest you check with the surgeon that did the acl surgery.

In brief: I

Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine