Does propecia (finasteride) work for men who have bald spots ?

Dr. Michael Klein

In brief: Yes, but...

Propecia (finasteride) works by blocking testosterone, the major male hormone.
Testosterone has some pretty important good effects as most men will attest to, and blocking it can cause erectile dysfunction or change in libido there are some studies showing this changes can be longer term. Even though the effects wear off the Minoxidil creams (rogaine, etc) are safer and would be my recommendation.

In brief: Yes, but...

Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. Michael Klein
Dr. STEPHEN GIROUX
Pharmacology

Yes Propecia (finasteride) does work for men with male pattern baldness (bald spots) and there is often noticeable hair growth with use of propecia (finasteride).
Not in all patients. And it can be reversible if medication is stopped. But remember.....Bald is beautiful!

Dr. STEPHEN GIROUX
Dr. STEPHEN GIROUX
Dr. Adam Smith