If my nerve was severed and I recieved therapy but it didn't work, why would the muscle be atrophied?

Dr. James Eitner
In brief: It is no longer used
If the nerve is severed, it is no longer sending signals to the muscle to contract.
Without these signals, the muscle shrinks in size (atrophies) from non use. Therapy may help train other nerves to take over and muscle stim. Units in therapy may help keep the muscle from atrophying during this process.

In brief: It is no longer used
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. James Eitner
Dr. Soren Singel
Neurosurgery
In brief: No innervation
Muscles only function when a nerve stimulates them. Once you lose the innervation the muscle fibers shrink.

In brief: No innervation
Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Soren Singel
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine