How should I use physical therapy to recover from amputation surgery?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Very important
Post operative rehab is very important after amputation.
I will speak to lower extremity amputation. This includes management of the surgical incision to make sure it heals, management of post op swelling which is common. Learning how to transfer with crutches or walker, beginning strengthening exercises for the legs and getting ready for eventual use of a prosthetic. A physiatrist is invaluable.

In brief: Very important
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Joseph Hermann
In brief: Go to PT
Only be knowing the specifics of your problem can you be helped.
I would go to a physical therapist with special training in amputations. I bet your prosthetist could recommend a good one.

In brief: Go to PT
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Joseph Hermann
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine