How quickly can muscle mass be lost if a person who stops exercising?

In brief: Loss of Muscle Mass

Muscle mass is loss at varying rates when we do not exercise regularly, but the general rule is 1% loss per day and 1/4% gain per day.
This is why it is much easier to lose then gain it back. I am personally in the painful long process of regaining. Dr rich blake.

In brief: Loss of Muscle Mass

Dr. Richard Blake
Dr. Richard Blake
Dr. Judy Orton

In brief: A few weeks

You start to lose fitness after a week then muscle strength/endurance if not exercising for longer. If you are completely immobilized - like in a cast - those muscles will start to atrophy ( get smaller) after a week or so.

In brief: A few weeks

Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Judy Orton
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine