What can be done about optic neuritis?

It's complicated. Optic neuritis is an inflammation of one or both eye nerves causing changes in vision. It is almost always part of multiple sclerosis, whether or not other symptoms are apparent or an MRI abnormality is evident. Significant visual impairments are usually treated with high dose I.V. Methylprednisolone to enhance and speed recovery and reduce the severity of the injury, and reduce new symptoms.
Optic neuritis . Once diagnosed, a work up is done to identify an underlying cause. Common tests performed include an MRI scan of the brain and a spinal tap as well as blood tests. Treatment is typically with steroids.