When one has intermittent bone pain in the hips, is that a symptom of prostate cancer?

Unlikely. If you haven't had a diagnosis of prostate cancer (pca) before, then hip pain is highly unlikely to be the first sign. If your blood psa level was low, then you could practically rule pca out. No need to do this test except to relieve you of unnecessary worry. Even if you do have pca diagnosis, other causes are more likely. It's even more unlikely if the pain is intermittent on both sides.
Too non-specific! It copuld, but there are many causes including simple hip arthritis, trochnteric bursitis, etc. Also, prostate cancer first metastizes to the pelvis and spine, before peripheral bones! see your doc!