What is the usual response to rehabilitation after rotator cuff surgery?

Dr. Blake Miller
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Rotator cuff
Active-assisted and passive range of motion exercises are typically started at home at two weeks post-operatively.
Six weeks is when formal physical therapy starts with strengthening gradually and continued range of motion exercises. It is painful, but important to stay with it. You're pretty young for a rotator cuff tear. Are you the patient?

In brief: Rotator cuff
Dr. Blake Miller
Dr. Blake Miller
Dr. Mark Gujer
Anesthesiology
In brief: Gradual
Increases in overall range of motion at the direction of your therapist.
Usually all passive assisted movements. Most surgeons still are reluctant to do much active range of motion before 6 weeks. Early pain is in incisions and then by week 2 starts to ache in the shoulder capsule as you advance your rehab. Stick with it...

In brief: Gradual
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Matthew Enna
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Very favorable
Most patients do quite well after a rotator cuff repair.
Different doctors have different rehab protocols. I for one get patients moving early to help prevent stiffness, but i restrict active motion (can't actively bring your arm over your head) for six weeks while the cuff heals. At the six week point, i advance to ad lib rom and generally at three months patients are good to go and very happy!

In brief: Very favorable
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Matthew Enna
Dr. Mark Gujer
Well said, as I sit here in my sling 2 weeks out from surgery. I had my other side done last year and the course described is exactly as I remember it. I cant wait for this side to heal now I got such a good result on the first one. Good luck and stick with it. I'm off to rehab right now.
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine