What is the cause of a popping sensation in my shoulder joint?

Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
In brief: Hard to tell
A lot of patients are concerned about their joints popping and grinding.
Unfortunately, this is the least sensitive symptom of all when it relates to the diagnosis of joint disorder. Popping could be normal, a snapping tendon may cause it. Tendon rupture, bone dislocation may be causing it. I would ask you to report other symptoms you may be having to correctly guide you in further work up.

In brief: Hard to tell
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Pavel Conovalciuc
Dr. Craig Miller
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Impingement
Most commonly the bursa that protects your rotator cuff may be inflamed and instead of gliding smoothly rolls up on itself and may click.
Other causes included a labrum tear, rotator cuff tear or an unstable joint. If not painful and no history of injury you need not be concerned. If either of above then see orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: Impingement
Dr. Craig Miller
Dr. Craig Miller
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine