What are the best exercises to rehab a severely strained knee joint?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Low impact

Generally, it is a good idea to keep the knee moving with as little impact as possible.
Provided it is just a strain, and there are no fractures, torn meniscus or ligaments, a low impact exercise program including riding a stationary bike or elliptical machine would be advisable. If it hurts, don't do it and make sure you check with a physician.

In brief: Low impact

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Severe strain

I assume you mean quad and hams.
Make sure there is not a near-complete tear. Slowly progress with gentle rom, modalities, pt, sort arc. Avoid lunges, deep knee bends, squats, jumping, and plyometrics til given the green light by your orthopedic or sports doc.

In brief: Severe strain

I assume you mean quad and hams.
Dr. John Michalski
Dr. John Michalski
Dr. Andrea Brand
Board Certified, Family Medicine