What are the best exercises to rehab a severely strained knee joint?

Low impact. Generally, it is a good idea to keep the knee moving with as little impact as possible. Provided it is just a strain, and there are no fractures, torn meniscus or ligaments, a low impact exercise program including riding a stationary bike or elliptical machine would be advisable. If it hurts, don't do it and make sure you check with a physician.
Severe strain. I assume you mean quad and hams. Make sure there is not a near-complete tear. Slowly progress with gentle rom, modalities, pt, sort arc. Avoid lunges, deep knee bends, squats, jumping, and plyometrics til given the green light by your orthopedic or sports doc.