Is it possible to do self-trigger point therapy for treating hip pain?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Possible

It is possible to do self trigger point therapy with a variety of devices that put pressure on the trigger point.
You can use a tennis ball and roll back and forth on it. Also there is a device called a back knobber that can work on trigger points. Having said all that it is my belief (bias) that muscle trigger points are usually secondary to something else and are rarely the primary problem.

In brief: Possible

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Barry Waldman
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: No

Trigger point injections work poorly for hip pain and need to be administered by a professional, when done at all.

In brief: No

Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Barry Waldman
Dr. Vikram Patel