If I have a joint replacement, how long does physical therapy usually last?

Dr. Eric Bluman
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Individualized

Those who need therapy may need it for weeks or months.
The goal is make sure that once you have a replacement joint that the range of motion is maximized and your gait is normalized. The time needed is determined between you, your orthopaedic surgeon and the therapist.

In brief: Individualized

Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Eric Bluman
Dr. Randall Bock
General Practice

In brief: Not too long

Joint replacements shouldn't really require much (if any) physical therapy.
Most of my patients who have had new knees and hips (once the surgical / anesthesia aftershock wears off in a few days) are "up and running". Physical therapy should not have much call in these cases of having new joints. Basically your joints have just magically gotten younger. New joints don't need therapy.

In brief: Not too long

Dr. Randall Bock
Dr. Randall Bock
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine