After rehabilitation of a hip replacement, what should a normal range of motion be?

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: It depends

The range of motion following hip replacement depends on the patient (host factors) and the surgeon (technique).
Patients with good preoperative range of motion usually have better postoperative range of motion. However, component position, and offset, and residual soft tissue tension can also affect postoperative postion.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. Gwo-Chin Lee
Dr. James Shapiro
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Functional

You should be able to bend the hip to about 100 degrees, extend the hip to about 10 degrees, bring the leg out about 40 degrees, and turn the foot out about 45 degrees.
I don't recommend bringing your leg past midline or turning your foot inward.

In brief: Functional

Dr. James Shapiro
Dr. James Shapiro
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine