How soon after my operation for a heart attack should I begin rehabilitation?

Dr. Albert Pizzo
In brief: Rehabilitation
As soon as your physician instucts you that it is safe to start rehabilitation and prescribes exactly what you are to do.
Follow your doctors orders very carefully for your best result.

In brief: Rehabilitation
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Albert Pizzo
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine
In brief: Soon
Stage one of cardiac rehabilitation begins within a few days of the operation usually on an inpatient rehab unit.
The patient begins getting out of bed and starting to stand and walk. Often the heart rate and rhythm are monitored by telemetry for the first several days. Once the patient reaches a certain tolerance of physical activity without symptoms they are discharged to outpatient therapy.

In brief: Soon
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Glynis Ablon
now you are typically up and walking the day after surgery and often discharged 3-4 days after surgery
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology