Can massage therapy help fibromyalgia?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology

In brief: Not the way you mean

Fibromyalgia is a brain problem, not a joint, muscle, tendon or bursa problem. Massage doesn't "help" fibromyalgia the way it may help muscular soreness after vigorous exertion.
The pleasurable sensation merely acts as a counter-sensation to fibromyalgia & is only temporary. Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition with no "cure," only symptomatic treatment at the neurochemical level,

In brief: Not the way you mean

Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

Massage therapy can be a helpful treatment for the pain associated with fibromyalgia although in my opinion it should not be the only thing.
One problem with massage is it is a "passive" therapy meaning someone does something to you to help you feel better. I find when people take an active role in treating their fibromyalgia and do not rely on others to "fix" them they do better in the long run.

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Betty Keller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

Yes, massage can be very helpful in helping reduce the pain of fibromyalgia.

Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Betty Keller