How is physical therapy used in the non-surgical treatment of back and neck?

Very effective. In general, the goals of back pain exercises and physical therapy are to decrease back pain, increase function, and provide education on a maintenance program to prevent further recurrences.
To prevent pain. Physical therapy is used to help restore normal function and decrease pain associated with neck and back pain. This may include stretching, strengthening weak muscles, use of heat/ice, as well as education to help prevent the recurrence of pain.