How do you know if there is nerve damage after a wisdom tooth extraction?

Prolonged numbness. (paresthesia) is a typical sign that there might be an underlying problem. Proper x-rays (panoramic) or a cbct should be taken by the treating dentist to evaluate prior to surgery.
Altered sensation. Prolonged altered sensation in an area supplied by the nerve would suggest some nerve involvement. A wide range of sensations can be present. Some describe a pins and needle sensation, tingling, itching , burning, numbness and/or altered taste. Some may describe an increase in sensation or sensitivity in certain areas.