I had spinal fusion 7 years ago and now I suffer from chronic lower back pain - is this normal?

Not Typically. If you are having severe chronic low back pain it is worth investigating to try and determine the cause. There may be some correctable problem. Alternatively, you may be a candidate for an implanted spinal cord stimulator. This might provide excellent pain relief.
Yes. Unfortunately, its not uncommon to see low back pain recur after back surgery. I recommend you follow up with your surgeon.
Sometimes. When having a spinal fusion, you are typicalky taking a bad situation and making it better, not necessarily restoring the back to normal. Ongoing changes that may be affected by someone wirh a prior fusion can lead to back pain later on in a small percentage of fusion patients.