How long should a stage four lung cancer patient with metastasis to brain and liver expect to live?

Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Less than 1 year

There are a number of variables here, including what kind of lung cancer, gender, whether there is a single or small number of metastasis in the brain that can be treated by surgery or stereotactic radiosurgery, general health status and age.
The average survival overall is about 8 months for stage 4 disease.

In brief: Less than 1 year

Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Metastatic lung

Cancer cannot be cured, but survival depends on performance status (ability to ambulate activities of daily living).
Certain metastasis dwell quietly and people live on, and some respond. I watch quality, symptoms and weight. Once they fall, time is short. Time for pal care/hospice if not already done.

In brief: Metastatic lung

Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Andrew Turrisi
Dr. Steven Seres