What is the common response to rehabilitation after partial knee replacement?

Dr. Kevin Stone
Sports Medicine

In brief: Motion

The common response is to improve range motion, decrease swelling, and decrease incidence of scar tissue while training as an athlete to become fitter and stronger. We believe that rehabilitation begins before surgery to have the highest tissue quality possible and to be as fit and strong as possible before surgery to have better outcomes after surgery.

In brief: Motion

Dr. Kevin Stone
Dr. Kevin Stone
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Quick recovery

Partial knee replacements done well recover much quicker than total knees.
I find that my partial knee replacement patients with only 2-3 weeks of gentle home pt after surgery starting post op week 2, do very well within 3-6 weeks. By 6 weeks my patients average about 8º more motion than when they started and this is with very gentle therapy. I find less aggressive therapy better for partials.

In brief: Quick recovery

Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Frederick Buechel, jr. md
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction

In brief: Success

Either total or partial knee arthroplasty will require aggressive pt on the part of the patient to have a successful result.
That being said, it is typically easier to recover from a partial knee replacement than from a total knee replacement. You should have reasonably good range of motion with improved pain by 6-12 months after a successful partial knee replacement.

In brief: Success

Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Adam Smith