I have a sciatic nerve acting up, how can I relieve the pain?

Dr. Foead Geula
Anesthesiology
In brief: Conservative care
Lumbar radiculopathy, or sciatica, can initially be treated with exercise and stretches as part of a physical therapy regimen.
If your symptoms persist, you may be a candidate for lumbar epidural steroid injections to decrease the inflammation around exiting nerve roots. Any associated numbness, weakness, or incontinence merits urgent medical evaluation.

In brief: Conservative care
Dr. Foead Geula
Dr. Foead Geula
David Miller
In brief: Depends on cause
How to relieve it depends on what is causing it.
In many cases, sciatica responds very well to osteopathic manipulation. That would certainly be a good place to start. Ultimately, you need to know what is causing the problem to know how to treat it.

In brief: Depends on cause
David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Jack Hinkle
Board Certified, Family Medicine